What Do Mulberries Taste Like?
Mulberries have a mildly sweet flavor that is similar in taste to dried goji berries and figs. These berries are dried so they have a slightly crunchy texture.
How to Eat Dried Mulberries
Naturally, dried mulberries are a delicious and healthy snack. There are so many ways to enjoy them in your diet:
1) Add dried mulberries to granola or trail mix for a sweet spin. Mulberries pair well with nuts, dried berries, and coconut.
2) Reconstitute dried mulberries by soaking them in water before adding them to baked good recipes.
3) Prepare a green tea or herbal tea, and add a hint of sweetness by letting dried mulberries soak at the bottom of the cup.
4) Blend soaked mulberries into smoothies or juices.
5) Garnish yogurt, oatmeal, or salads with the dried berries.
6) Grind up dried mulberries and add them to recipes for muffins or cookies for a boost of nutrition.
7) Our favorite way – Snack on dried mulberries straight from the bag!
Health Benefits of Mulberries
1) Antioxidant Powerhouse – Dried mulberries are an excellent source of anthocyanins, a group of antioxidants known for their anti-inflammatory properties. They have also been used to improve blood circulation. Dried mulberries contain another compound called resveratrol, the same potent antioxidant found in red wine and peanuts that is revered for its anti-aging effects. Studies indicate that resveratrol may lower blood pressure and reduce the risk for heart disease.
2) Plentiful Source of Fiber – A single serving of mulberries contains nearly 20 percent of your recommended fiber intake. Most people consume far less than the recommended amount so snacking on dried mulberries is a great way to boost the fiber content of your diet. These delicious fruits are an ideal source of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps control blood sugar and reduce harmful cholesterol levels, while insoluble fiber is essential for a healthy digestive system.
3) More Vitamin C Than Oranges – With 190% of the daily recommended value for vitamin C per serving, dried mulberries contain even more of this immunity-boosting vitamin per ounce than oranges! Getting plenty of vitamin C is important for supporting the immune system, repairing tissue, and protecting vision. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant that may lower the risk for heart disease by fighting oxidative damage.
4) Rich in Protein, Iron & Calcium – For a fruit, mulberries are an unusually high source of protein. They contain 4 grams of protein per serving, which makes them a great post-workout snack. Dried mulberries also contain a whopping 30% of the daily value for iron and 10% of the daily value for calcium. Iron fights fatigue and keeps you feeling energized as it works to carry oxygen-rich blood cells throughout the body. Calcium is the foundation for strong bones and teeth, and an adequate intake of calcium can help prevent the risk of developing osteoporosis.
Dried Mulberries Storage
Dried mulberries may be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 year. They should be kept in a sealed bag or container, away from heat and direct sunlight.
There are no reviews yet.