An ounce of pine nuts (167 individuals of dried pine nuts) provide 191 calories which come from fat (19 grams), protein (3.9 grams), and carbohydrates (3.7 grams). Pine nuts are also a prominent source of phosphorus (163 milligrams) and magnesium (71.2 milligrams) and contain vitamin E and K as well.
Nuts and seeds are always a nutritious addition to any meal. The high heart-healthy fat content and other nutrients present in pine nuts provide a variety of unique advantages to health.
- Supports Heart Health: Vitamin E and other antioxidants present in pine nuts help to reduce cardiovascular inflammation. On the other hand, unsaturated fatty acids help to reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) content and increase HDL (good cholesterol) in veins and arteries. Consuming three servings of pine nuts on a weekly basis can decrease the risk of heart failure. They also decrease blood clotting and arrhythmias (abnormal beating of the heart).
- Regulate Blood Sugar Levels: The onset of type 2 diabetes can be avoided by replacing refined carbohydrates with snacks rich in unsaturated fatty acids, protein and fibre. This improves fasting blood sugar levels significantly. Moreover, magnesium in these nuts also helps insulin’s performance in utilizing glucose.
- Improve Brain Health: Omega 3 fatty acids (healthy unsaturated fats) have the ability to not only repair but build brain cells. Antioxidants present in pine nuts such as vitamin E and nitric oxide help in reducing cellular stress along with inflammation in parts of the brain.
STORAGE AND FOOD SAFETY
Due to their high-fat content, raw pine nuts (chilgozay) should ideally be consumed within a couple of months. The shelf life of pine nuts can be increased up to a year. This can be done by roasting and storing them in an airtight container.
QUICK TIPS BY OUR NUTRITIONIST
- Pine nuts being a nutritious snack option, can be consumed raw or roasted.
- They can be sprinkled on top of salads and hummus or can be blended as part of sauces.
- Since pine nuts are high in calories, they should be consumed in moderation.
- Do not consume pine nuts if you are allergic to them.